Now that America is opening up, that means more singles are going back to dating in real life, but a new survey shows that the past year has had a major effect on the dating scene.
The Plenty of Fish poll finds:
- 42% of singles are open to physical intimacy again and want to meet new matches.
- But two-thirds say they plan to continue to connect virtually, in ways such as:
- Video chats (61%)
- Sexting (54%)
- Phone sex (47%)
- In fact, 64% of singles say the past year has changed their views on what intimacy is.
- 57% say they now put a higher value on emotional or intellectual intimacy.
- 45% actually find a physical connect less important.
And it doesn’t look like things are going to go back to normal all that fast.
- 51% of singles say they believe one-night stands will be a thing of the past once the pandemic is over.
- Surprisingly men are more likely to think that than women (61% vs. 45%).
- 45% say they are more confident in their virtual sexual intimacy than they are with their in-person skills.
- And sexting isn’t going away anytime soon, with 61% saying it will become more popular than ever.
- ONE MORE THING! So, how did singles satisfy their physical intimacy needs during lockdown? Well, 76% embarked on a friends with benefits situation, with 85% turning to their roommates to be their FWB.