This makes me want to just commit to my glasses!!! Holy cow!!!! Dr. Patrick Vollmer, an optometrist for Vita Eye Clinic in Shelby, North Carolina, posted the shocking photos on Facebook showing the reason why the patient was sent to him for urgent care.
Turns out the woman had Pseudomonas bacteria, which is an important cause of ocular morbidity and its opportunistic characteristics can quickly lead to permanent blindness.
Vollmer gave out a warning to patients saying the woman’s issues didn’t take years to form, rather just 36 hours, as is characteristic of this strain of bacteria. The patients went to urgent care with a “small ulcer” on a Tuesday. By Wednesday, she had a massive ulcer and her vision was reduced to light perception. Although Vollmer did state that he usually hears patients say that they sleep in contacts “all the time” without any problems, the post was purely intended to be a “scare tactic” in hopes that people get spooked and correct their unhealthy behaviors.